There are a number of distinctive features of this career that place special demands on the Communications Clerk. Check out the POST: California Peace Officers Standards and Training Psychological Assessment for Dispatchers for information.
If this all sounds very interesting and you feel it's a good fit for you, ask yourself:
- Am I looking for work that is exciting and never the same?
- Can I fluently speak in French and English; am I able to read in French and English and type in English?
- Can I type 45 words per minute?
- Can I keep track of several things going on at the same time without getting flustered?
- Can I read and listen well, remember facts quickly and accurately, compare details and draw logical conclusions from what I've read or heard?
- Can I speak clearly and communicate my ideas to others well?
- Do I want good pay and good benefits?
If you can honestly answer "yes" to all of the above questions, you may be an excellent candidate for a position as a Communications Clerk with the Ottawa Police Service.